Saturday, January 26, 2008

But What am I Doing About it?

What am I doing to stay spiritually healthy? My question is not what I know of spiritual health. There is a gulf betwixt the two.

I would like to stay spiritually healthy. Most Christians would. What am I doing about it?

It is vanity that I take better care of my reputation than I do of my spiritual walk. Many sins become inevitable only when I become susceptible to them by not taking care of the inner life.
I am familiar with what the Lord says about keeping my heart in good shape:

"Blessed are the poor in spirit: ...
Blessed are they that mourn: ...
Blessed are the meek: ...
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: ...
Blessed are the merciful: ...
Blessed are the pure in heart: ...
Blessed are the peacemakers: ..."
(Matthew 5:3-9)

Unfortunately, after all that is said and done, I usually say more than I do.

The Lord encourages me to pray for the ability to live out those principles.

The first step to stay spiritually healthy is the discovery that apart from God, I have no ground of existence whatever.

No comments: